PROJECT - FRENCH CURVE, ELLIPSE GUIDE, AND SHIP CURVE LASER MACHINING
Project uses Alias as a synthesis of various other file inputs (Adobe Illustrator, Solidworks) for laser machining. Each student will need to utilize a 24inch by 12inch by 0.08inch cast acrylic piece of material by placing geometry for the laser machining layout. Final steps include evaluating IGES export from Alias to DelCAM PowerMill to maintain layer names for machining operations. A final DXF file will be submitted to the DAAP Rapid Prototyping Center for machining.
INTRODUCTION - SOLIDWORKS: SKETCHES, FEATURES, RELATIONSHIPS AND DIMENSIONING
Introduction to Dessault Solidworks interface with explanations of their online tutorials. Sketches, parametric dimensioning and relationships are demonstrated.
INTRODUCTION - SOLIDWORKS: PARTS, ASSEMBLIES, AND SOLID BODY FILE EXPORTS
Introduction to parts versus assemblies, mate relationships, and the made simple solid body exports to 3D additive printing technologies.
PROJECT - HANDLE WITH DESIGN ITERATIONSApplying current strategies to design handle objects for iteration study.
PROJECT - CRANK ROCKER ASSEMBLY VIA SOLIDWORKS
Introduction to use of Parts and Assemblies with Linked Values and Global Variables. Making a quick kinetic simulation based solely on mating constraints.
VARIOUS UNIQUE WORKFLOWS - ALIAS AND SOLIDWORKS
Special feature unique to Alias and Solidworks and demonstrations of their interconnectivity.
PROJECT - SAND CASTING MATCHPLATE - SOLIDWORKS (CAD) AND POWERMILL (CAM)
This project introduces the design challenge of the parting plane, necessary draft, and use of fillets. A reference IGES file is supplied as size parameter that will need to be imported into Solidworks. Remember the following criteria:
- Start with the IGES reference file to keep geometry properly centered and constrained in size.
- Draft angles of extruded features need to be at least 3 degrees (preferably 5 degrees) in the proper direction.
- Inside fillet radii need to be larger than 0.035inches.
- Outside fillet radii need to be larger than 0.015inches.
- The final outside perimeter fillet needs to be exactly 0.0625inches.
PROJECT - DUSTBUSTER SPEEDFORM - ALIAS AND SOLIDWORKS
project is the culmination of leveraging every the NURBS surface generation in Alias to downstream data flow to Desault Solidworks. A reference set of images for a digital cabriolet method is provided in a link below:
- Start with these pink foam reference images, and begin building principle surfaces in Alias.
- With all principle surfaces trimmed with a proper single membrane volume, export the NURBS surface data from Alias as an IGES file.
- Open the IGES file from Alias in Solidworks, make sure you sucessfully import the data and convert it to a single part soldibody. Make sure to save the .sldprt file.
- Separate the Soildworks file into multip0le solid bodies as needed adding as much detail as you can. experiment with various features in Solidworks.
- Make sure you submit a zip archive, of the exported iges file from alias and the .sldprt file from solidworks onto blackboard.